Welcome to my monthly ‘Community’ newsletter. This is July 2017’s monthly summary of Ronny Allan’s Community news, views and ICYMI (in case you missed it!). July 26th was the ‘Cancerversary‘ of my diagnosis – I’m still here after 7 years and I’m apparently a veritable newbie! There’s some great comments on my ‘I’m Still Here’ post – check them out … ‘click here’
The following news items may be of interest:
- Telotristat Ethyl (Xermelo) takes a step forward to being approved in Europe. Click here.
- PRRT takes a step forward to being approved in USA. Click here.
- Ipsen launches the German version of ‘Living with NETs’ website. Click here.
What’s happening on my Blog Site?
As per above, a quiet month. Due to the vagaries of Facebook inner workings, some of these may not have even shown on your timeline. So, ICYMI …….here’s a summary with links, includes updated blogs.
- At home with Lanreotide. News of an Ipsen sponsored at home nurse injection service. Let me know about your own experience with at home services so I can update my blog if necessary.
- The very latest on NET Grades and Stages. Includes updates from WHO 2017.
- Don’t believe the hype – 3 more NET myths added.
- NETwork with Ronny © – Community Newsletter JUNE 2017. My June 2017 newsletter ICYMI.
- Your favourite posts. All posts with viewing figures above 2000.
There’s a lot of chatter about use of the word ‘fight’ in cancer parlance but most people are misrepresenting the word’s multiple meanings as per the most eminent English language dictionaries. As for me, I’m ‘sticking to my guns’ on the subject.
I got some great comments on my monthly Lanreotide ‘butt dart’ post. Feel free to add questions. I may know some of the answers and cannot promise answers from Ipsen due to their regulatory arrangements but I will try! Check out the discussion here …… ‘click here’
NET Cancer Blog Activity
July was a slower month in ‘new’ blogging terms mainly due to holiday. I’m seeing a trend of low ‘new’ blog months, mainly due to external projects and a continuous stream of offline messages from patients. Also, I’m still suffering with minor pain which has decided to move to my right hip (hopefully localising where the real problem is). Physiotherapist appointment is next week. However, despite a low month for brand new blogs, I managed to totally smash my monthly blog view record (after smashing it last month too!) ……..Thank you all so much for the support.
I continue to receive a steady flow of private contacts, mainly from patients seeking information. I don’t have an issue with private contact but please note my disclaimer. Please also note that I cannot accept telephone calls on a one to one basis. The number of non-patients contacting me for other reasons (mainly to help with something) continues to grow and this is producing some great publicity and awareness.
I’ve been nominated for the 2017 WEGO Health Awards in three categories so far, Blog, Patient Leader Hero and Lifetime Achievement. If you remember last year, I made it to the final in two categories of Blog and Community and won the latter. A vote for me is a vote for Neuroendocrine Cancer awareness. VOTE HERE PLEASE
Click on ‘Endorse Ronny Allan’. It defaults to ‘Blog’ but the other two are there via the drop down menu. Thanks, I cannot get to the finals without the votes.
Awareness Activity in July 2017
New Audiences for NET Cancer. From Day 1, I said it was my aim to find new audiences for NETS rather than just share stuff within our own community.
- I’m ‘extremely’ active on twitter and I find a lot of my research stuff there. I also use it to support other conditions and it’s mostly returned (i.e. others help with NET awareness and are made aware of NETs in the process). There is so much on twitter that I could swamp the community Facebook site so I started a twitter newsletter via an app called Nuzzel which seeks out stuff I normally like. Click this link and sign up if you think this is something you’d be interested in receiving. Currently 269 subscribers – up 12% on last month.
- I continue to be featured by ‘external’ organisations such as WEGO and my PODCAST is reaching new audiences – click here. Other irons are in the fire but unable to bring you firm news just yet.
- I’m proud to be a ‘Community Champion’ on the Macmillan Cancer Support Forum helping outliers from the NET community there. I’ll be reporting more on this in the coming weeks. This is the biggest cancer support organisation in the UK.
- I’ve been accepted as a ‘Cure Today’ contributor which means my articles will get a wider distribution than they do now. I’ve not contributed yet but clearly they will be posted on all my social media outlets for you to read. Click here to read more.
- On 12 July, I delivered a ‘patient view’ presentation to Ipsen (UK) which was well received.
- On 5th October, I’ve been invited to speak for around an hour at the Cardiff (South Wales) NET Patient meeting (moved from July due to forecast low attendance) Things are starting to happen in this area and I already know Dr Mo Khan who is a NET specialist working hard on behalf of patients. I’m really looking forward to visiting and talking to this group.
Writing and other types of Engagement (external) – watch this space as I’m working on quite a few projects concurrently
Social Media and Stats
Blog Milestone. In July, I tipped a THIRD OF A MILLION views! Thank you all so much ♥ Keep sharing! On track for 400000 by end of the year.
Facebook Milestone. I met my target of 5000 followers a few months before my self inposed deadline date. I’m very grateful! The Facebook page is now my biggest outlet for awareness and education so please please please recommend this page to anyone you think would be interested.
I’m expanding into Instagram to see how that goes. I’ve amassed over 200 followers to date. Initially, I’ll just be posting pictures of things that inspire me, mostly scenic photos of places I’ve been or want to go! You can follow me here: Click here to go to my Instagram page
- Facebook – 5007. This is a key outlet for my blog – please encourage others to like my page (if you’d like to know how to use your Facebook to invite others to my page – let me know, I can provide you with a step by step approach). Please also join my 2017 awareness campaign event here (select ‘Going’)
- Twitter – 4000 / 3095 Follow me here @RonnyAllan1 / @NETCancerBlog
- Total Blog Views: 337313
- Blog with most views: 12323 – The Human Anatomy of Neuroendocrine Cancer
- Most blog views in one day: 2043 on 15 January 2017. Why the spike? ….. “The Human Anatomy of Neuroendocrine Cancer”
- Most blog views in one week: 7538 in July 2017.
- Most blog views in one month: 20498 in July 2017. Why the spike? … these blogs here:
WOW! – that’s an amazing amount of awareness and hopefully, support for others. However, I cannot do this without you guys liking, commenting and sharing! The likes give me motivation, the comments (and private messages) give me inspiration (or at least a chance to explain further) and the sharing gives me a bigger platform. A bigger platform generates more awareness.
Thanks for your great support in July. Onwards and upwards!
Thanks for reading
Hey, I’m also active on Facebook. Like my page for even more news.
My Diagnosis and Treatment History
Sign up for my twitter newsletter
Check out my Podcast (click and press play)
Remember ….. in the war on Neuroendocrine Cancer, let’s not forget to win the battle for better quality of life!